When you ask someone what their favorite Michael Jackson album is, everyone usually agrees that Thriller or Bad is the fave. Of course, I have to be different. My favorite MJ album is Off The Wall. I think that OTW gets no love and was blown out of the water by the monumental Thriller.
The hype behind Thriller was in direct relation to the video of the same name. While stellar in its absolute creativity and the musical genius behind it, when it comes right down to it, I’ll listen to Off the Wall before I listen to Thriller.
For me, the ability to
hold my attention play an album from start to finish, sans skips, is an indication that you have some thing great on your hands.
OTW has a better quality of songs. the music, the lyrics, the youth and innocence that usually drips from debut albums makes OTW worth a listen, especially by people who claim to ‘know music’.
Favorite song? All. In particular, Off the Wall, Girlfriend, Workin Day and Night, I Can’t Help it, and It’s the Falling in Love.
So this is how I’m starting my morning.
Off the Wall.
- Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’ anniversary: 30 facts you may not know (thegrio.com)
- 30th anniversary of Michael Jackson’s Thriller album (itv.com)
- Michael Jackson’s 11 Most Thrilling Moments (wcbsfm.cbslocal.com)
- Five Things You Didn’t Know About MJ’s “Thriller” (moejackson.com)
- Did “Thriller” Really Sell a Hundred Million Copies? (newyorker.com)
- Michael Jackson: Bad 25, BBC Two, review (telegraph.co.uk)
- Terrorized ‘Thriller’ Actress Scares Up $55,000 Payday From Michael Jackson’s Estate (spin.com)
- Michael Jackson’s Thriller Turns 30 (kingsofar.com)
- Michael Jackson’s “Thriller,” 30 Years Later [Listen] (myhoustonmajic.com)
- Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” turns 30 (upi.com)